Grade Level: Grades 4-12
Product #: RL00202
Captivate readers, ace writing tests, and express yourself clearly—Marko the Pencil will show you how. His Writer’s Toolbox, packed with easy-to-implement strategies, will take your writing from mediocre to magnificent. Stories, essays, term papers, or standardized tests—whatever you write, Marko gives you proven strategies for getting remarkable results. This is the fun way to sharpen your writing skills.
Winner of 4 awards!
• Parents' Choice Silver Honor
• iParenting Media Award
• Coalition for Quality Children's Media Kids First!
• Creative Child Magazine's Toy Award
Join in the fun as Marko helps a friend develop a real writing passage—demonstrating each of his tools in action. You’ll learn how to:
• brainstorm ideas for your assignment
• consider your audience and identify your purpose
• find a hook to interest readers
• organize sentences and ideas effectively
• avoid unclear pronouns
• use transitional phrases
• involve your readers with effective dialogue
• enrich your work with similes, onomatopoeia, alliteration, personification, and more
This animated adventure is ideal for classroom use as well as individual practice. Although it was designed and tested with students in fourth grade, our team of educators discovered that students in higher grades (even high school and college) benefited from the review of writing tools and how to effectively integrate all of them into a writing passage.
We have included a special bonus section: Marko shows you how to proofread your work, and he reveals secrets to score well on multiple-choice writing tests. Plus, you will find free downloadable posters and support material at Marko’s special website.
All of the students using this program during our research loved watching it and commented that many of the writing concepts that they had heard about in school finally made sense to them. Spectacular animation and Marko’s humor keep students focused. We suggest that the main program be viewed at a separate session from the bonus material. The main Writing Program is 34 minutes in length. Students may review certain tools at any time, easily accessible from the DVD menu.
Proofing and Editing, Marko’s bonus material is 37 minutes in length and helps students catch careless errors in their work. Students learn to proof for errors involving paragraphs, quotes, incomplete sentences, subject-verb agreement, misspelled words, punctuation, and much more.
Marko the Pencil is played by actor Vic Mignogna, Best Actor 2007, American Anime Awards and voice for many popular video games. Writing Strategies is perfect for boosting performance on any writing assignment, state-mandated writing test, or other type of writing exam. Students gain the skills they need to approach writing with fun and confidence.
Writing Strategies includes:
• Marko’s Song
• Brainstorming Your Topic and Getting Started
• The Arranger
• The Hook
• Transitional Cake
• Colorful Words and Expressing Feelings
• More Practice Applying Marko’s Writing Tools
• Detecting Unclear Pronouns
• How to Make A Lasting Impression
• The Finished Story
• Review of Marko’s Writing Tools
• How to Proofread for Careless Errors
• How to Score Well on a Multiple-Choice Writing Test
• Marko’s Posters for Becoming an Outstanding Writer
Total running time: Approx. 70 minutes